Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Renderosity: Holy Cow! Now I'm #3!

Got moved up to #3!
For more info, check out last week's column.
Renderosity.com had a recalculation of the data, and now I'm actually the #3 Favorite Artist of the week!

Needless to say, I'm shocked and amazed. I mean, hitting #6 was amazing enough, but apparently even more people are taking notice of my gallery and are liking what they see.

Which is very cool.

And, to be honest, it doesn't change anything. I'm going to keep making the best images I can and I'll still be my harshest critic (just ask my buddies Mike Murphy or Paul Mauer... or my very bestest "buddy" of all time, my wife, Donna). They'll tell you that I seldom really like my finished work. It's just that I can always see something (even if it's just a line or a shadow) that I could make better. Thankfully, my past experience in newspapers taught me one thing: Once you publish, you need to stop looking at it and move on to the next task.

But, that being said, it's nice to be recognized by my peers. I'm talking to a lot of great people who like what I'm doing, and we're even discussing comics in general and we help each other improve each other's work (I had some great tips on improving the colors in one of my comic book style illustrations).

Anyway, enough late-night rambling. I've gotta get up early for work tomorrow. Before I go, though, I'll leave you with two more creations from my "glass & chrome" period. As with the other two, these were created in Vue D'Esprit waaaaay back in 2004.

Reflections of a Rose
8-24-2004

And here's another one that I had fun with. It is actually the third of a series I made with this bottle -- which I modeled in another program and imported into Vue, which is why the title is "Still Dreaming..."

Still Dreaming of Sandy
7-13-2004

On this one, I recall that the red smoke was difficult to texture properly. Normally I would do this in postwork (i.e. Photoshop), but I wanted it to be reflected properly in the chrome spheres.

Friday, we'll continue the desert theme with a visit to a dry planet in the Galaxy Prime universe! See you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment