I am working on an exciting project (I'll announce it in a few days), and as part of the prep for that I was asked to create some marketing materials that show off some of the line art styles I use on a frequent basis.
Wow. this is a great way to start of the decade. The very first illustration I posted online at Renderosity was selected as a Poser Staff Pick of the Week.
Well, technically this is the second illustration because it's an update of an earlier version; I changed the shading on the cart to lighten it up. In fact, truth be told, I was working on the illustration to take out the cart and replace it with a stump and an ax when I got the news, so I decided to stop the updates and just leave it as is.
Well, sorta. I did fix a problem with the shadows on the cart – they were going the wrong way in the previous version.
So, here it is folks, my last take on this illustration as i move on to other things (like attacking dragons!).
One of the great things about being busy is that I've got a lot of great artwork to show for my past year. One of the not-so-great things is that I frequently neglect to post project updates.
So, yes, I've done a lot of work on Days Gone over the past year. Okay, not a lot, but some. And it's been pretty good. One thing that became apparent was that I needed to include more scenes with the dragon being wicked, so I started to create a scene showing the dragon attacking a village (or at least a farmhouse). And this is what I came up with – regarding the farmhouse in the woods, that is. As you can clearly see, the dragon is nowhere in sight.
At least not yet.
You see, as i created this scene, I kind liked how simple it was. No dragons, zombies or goblins. Just a cabin in the woods as a simple landscape. So, over the past two days, that's exactly what I created: this simple landscape in my signature blues and browns.
Fear not, fantasy fans, as I shall work on adding the dragon any day now.
I'm working on a cover for the next issue of the Collectors' Club Newsletter and it features our old friend (and unofficial mascot) Captain Epistle. The previous time I illustrated him, I used the Genesis figure in Daz Studio. This time I wanted to do my work in Poser (so I could use the super cool Comic Book Preview, which generates quality line art), so naturally I went back to my old standby Michael 4 as the base figure.
Before working on the cover itself, I whipped up this simple character sketch in a classic Kirby-inspired pose. Very simple, and it did reveal a few things I need to work on:
The logo needs to be moved up a bit higher on his chest.
I'm not sure this is the right cape – it's nice, but it doesn't have some of the movement I would like (particularly at the bottom, which is why that curl to our left looks kind of straighter than it should).
I think the jawline needs to be more square.
Nevertheless, not bad and these changes should help me make him look better when I move him into the cover illustration itself.
This has the usual workflow: Poser Pro 11 and Manga Studio EX5.
I'm working on another Superhero image and I was having trouble finding some of the items in my Runtime, so I went hunting for some new pieces. Since I'm working with Michael 4 as my base figure, I decided to go hunt down some Freebie Items.
Well, this was a pleasant surprise. Once more I've had an illustration selected as a "Poser Staff Pick of the Week" by the fine folks over at Renderosity. This time it was for the "rejected" cover I did for Nite Flyte #4.
And by "rejected" I mean just that, if I had sufficient time, I would have done it differently.
I guess this just goes to show that it pays never to toss anything out! After all, I was fairly happy with it, I just didn't love it.