Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Nite Flyte Cover 04

This is the cover I mentioned last week. It's for a fanzine that will appear inside the SNICKER SNACK APA. This is actually just my contribution to the issue, but I like to do a cover for each issue in which I contribute material.

I started work on a large illustration with a lot of cool stuff off to the side, but the more I looked at it the more I realized that the skull was more effective when seen up close. So, this illustration is what I came up with. I particularly enjoyed inking the background – and I even think I did a pretty good job with the candle glows. But when I finished it, I really didn't like it. There's just something about the creature that isn't interesting to me.

© 2019 Mike Mitchell

So, even though this design was 100% finished, I decided to create a sexy little "red hot chili imp" and I was going to place her on the skull in some sort of sexy pin-up pose. Take a look at the next post and let me know what you think!

But... alas, her turn at stardom 'twas not to be!

I just ran out of time. I'm behind schedule on creating a cover for a new Galaxy Prime book, so even though I have the imp character ready to go, I just don't have time to create a new illustration. So, I went with my original cover (mailed out today, in fact).

Oh well, that's just the way it goes. Perhaps I can find use of her in another project or illustration. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment