Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Starship Exiting Warp [Galaxy Prime]

Hey there, one and all. I was contacted by the publisher of Epic Age Media who needed a fast turnaround for some illustrations for an RPG supplement he's putting together for his game, Galaxy Prime. The book is a 6x9 inch b&w collection of adventures/scenarios for the game. So, I'm quickly creating five or six b&w illustrations that will (I think) run opposite the title of each adventure (in other words, there will be a full-page illo at the start of each "chapter"). 

Because of the time crunch, the publisher was practically giddy because I already had some sci-fi art "in the can" as concept drawings for a sci-fi comic I'm working on. Since these had not been printed before, he happily agreed to use two or three of the illustrations I already had ready to go. So, with a few tweaks, here's a reworking of another illustration you'll find in my gallery.

© 2020 Mike Mitchell


As you can see, I made some modifications to the previous one, mainly adding a circle motif for the background. My reasoning behind this was simple and twofold:
  1. A smaller background means less work and a faster turnaround.
  2. It just looks cool! By having the ship burst out of the circle, it instantly adds more energy, movement and a greater sense of depth.

Keep your eyes peeled, sci-fi fanatics! I've got more illos (and a cover) on the way!

[Created in Poser Pro 11 and Clip Studio Paint: Space Background based on a royalty-free photo from NASA]

No comments:

Post a Comment