Sunday, January 6, 2019

When the 'Big Brother' gets it so wrong but is still right (sort of)

I hope I can relate this amusing anecdote without "triggering" anyone to go on and on about online privacy and how they always use a TOR browser behind a VPN routed through the Netherlands. I am fully aware of how online privacy works and have a VPN and don't need or want any advice about improving my online security. I'm quite comfortable with my online presence and I found this so funny that I actually laughed out loud so hard my wife came over to find out what I found so amusing.

I am not a musical person. It's not that I couldn't learn to play an instrument (I played Cornet in junior high band and didn't suck more than anyone else did at that age), it's just that I would rather draw and write. So Saturday afternoon I was puzzled to see a bunch of ads from Amazon pop up in my Facebook feed for things like Guitar amps, mixing boards, custom guitar picks and a plethora of things like that. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I was seeing these things, and then it hit me.

It seems that the Great Data Analytics in the Cloud decided that I suddenly had developed an interest in learning guitar because of something I did on Friday night.

Friday night I started work on an illustration of Conan the Barbarian (I'll share it when I get it done). I didn't like the poses and props I had on hand, so I went to Renderosity and found several products that were on sale, so I bought about four or five sets for under $25. And yup, I bought a few guitars and multiple poses so I can show the Cimmerian shredding it on an "axe."

And that's when I started to laugh and laugh and laugh!

I just had to shake my head because all that technology got it so wrong while still getting it right (sort of).

No comments:

Post a Comment