Friday, September 14, 2018

High-End Laptop for Graphics

Over at Facebook, Brian Haberlin asked for a recommendation on a gaming laptop so he can do some 3D on the road. I wrote him a fairly long response based on my purchasing decisions back in 2018.
------------------------

Brian, the gaming laptop is only for travel, any good gaming laptop will do (for gaming/3D work, I would suggest thinking about a 17-inch display). If you ever plan to use it at home, though, you should seriously look into an Alienware laptop and then combine it with the Alienware Graphics Adapter. This combo lets you use external video cards with your laptop.

I don't do any high-end gaming; my system is set up for graphics. Here is my setup (purchased in 2016), and I'm very happy with it: Alienware 17 laptop: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HD | Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache 3.5GHz) | Onboard Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 1028 CUDA Cores | Alienware Graphics Amplifier: GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB (006G-P4-4996-KR)  2816 CUDA Cores. This outputs to a pair of matched 27-inch ASUS gaming monitors.

I use it to run DazStudio, Poser, Photoshop, Manga Studio and a graphics tablet (not listing brand since I'm about to upgrade to something cooler).

Stock photo of the Alienware 17 Laptop.

Stock photo of the rear of the Alienware Graphics Adapter.
This is an external USB hub that houses a full-size desktop graphics card
powered by a dedicated 450W power supply.


SUMMARY: 
The laptop is high-end, but the Alienware Graphics Adapter (AGA) takes it to another level. The AGA is an external box that costs about $180; it has its own power supply that is dedicated to running an external video card (which you provide – it can take almost any card you want to buy). There are four USB ports on the back where you can plug in your peripherals. The AGA connects to the laptop via a single proprietary cable, which means that in addition to giving you the graphics boost, it also acts as a USB hub. When the AGA is connected, the laptop’s internal video card is shut off and it uses the external card to drive everything (I have read rumors that some gamers have tricked it out to use both cards if they are the same type, but I seriously doubt that is stable). For 3D creation, I have found it to be a rock-solid investment.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment