Friday, May 18, 2018

Days Gone [Addendum]

Hard to believe that I haven't posted an update on this project for almost six months. Wow. Time flies when your full-time career starts consuming almost all of your waking hours with commute and work. But I think the big hurdle in that particular project has been passed, so I'm trying to get a handle on time again so I can get back to work on Days Gone #3.

As a side note to this project, I found myself needing a back cover illustration for the Collectors' Club Newsletter #122, so I quickly pulled out two separate illustrations from the Days Gone project and combined them into the illustration below.

Dragon Spire
© 2018 Mike Mitchell

I made the color choices because I wanted to emulate the old three -color printing process that was frequently used in fanzines back in the 1970s and early 1980s. I also chose the framing effect (cropping the background smaller than the figure so we could see paper on the sides) based on a Conan or Kull portfolio piece I saw in an old Savage Sword of Conan magazine.

Speaking of which, I've really been enjoying reading those old issues. I've been buying lots of them this year, and have about half of the series. I'll write more about this in a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment