In the meantime, though, I thought I'd post the image I worked on this weekend.
|B&W Test created with Poser 11 & Manga Studio|
I'm very pleased with the outcome of this test. This is very close to the effect I'm looking to create for a comic book project I'm working on. Also, it was very fast to create. I can imagine these techniques fitting nicely into my workflow.
The creation process included:
Setting up the figure, including the materials which needed some tweaking (light textures or no textures, and no bump maps).
- Adjusting the lights (only 2 infinite lights, with the shadow maps texture sizes pumped up to 4096).
- Finding the right size for the Geometric Edge (I think this is set at either .25 or .33)
- And then rendering two images at very large size (about 4,000 pixels -- the large size is important for capturing details, but it's very fast because this is black and white with no textures visible):
- Image 1 has small shadowy areas (the black shadows in this image)
- Image 2 has large shadowy areas (the gray textured areas)
- I then combined the two images in Manga Studio 5 and used the large shadowy areas as a guide to apply the tone.
- I also did some hand editing of the edges (there were some gaps here and there, and places where I wanted thicker/thinner lines).
- I also did some hand editing of the tone (like on the curves on the badges, and around his eyes).
- I also used a Manga Studio tone for the background.