Sunday, September 26, 2021

Comics Flashback: When Hostess Ads Attack, pt 1

 As you saw in my last post, I'm a big fan of the Hostess superhero ads that appeared in comics from 1975 thru 1981. These things were a hoot! Having heroes use sugary snack treats to defeat their villains is just too perfectly "comic book" to ignore. 

So... I didn't.

When I joined the Snicker-Snack APA (it's a quarterly fanzine), I decided to have some fun by altering the dialogue to these classic ads... with a bit of a wicked twist.

Here's my first attempt at creating something funny (but naughty) out of a random Hostess Ad. This one established all the rules I would follow in this series:

  1. I do not change the artwork until the last panel (see below)
  2. I do not change the size of the word balloons.
  3. No profanity – innuendo is much funnier.
  4. I DO CHANGE the product in the final panel: Whatever Hostess product was there is updated with the Snicker-Snack logo.

Updated Ad Text and art changes © Mike Mitchell
(Click to see full-size)


Here's the original version

Our Army at War #279,  April 1975
© 1975 DC Comics


Tune in soon, same Bat Time and same Bat Channel for our next assault on common decency!

No comments:

Post a Comment